Saturday, December 11, 2021

Tradition?

A "time-honored practice"?  Here's another definition:
Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people.
Think about the traditions in your family.
Do you hate any of them ... and do them anyway?
Or have you chosen to let some fall by the wayside?

Thinking about tradition reminds me of Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof."
Click that link to watch the video of him singing that song.

I have my own tradition about books:  I re-read the really good ones.  I have just added this book to my Kindle because I haven't read it in awhile.  The cover Amazon showed me is NOT the cover of the paperback copy I've read in the past (more than once), but here's the latest cover.

The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge ~ by Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann, 1966, sociology, 189 pages (before the copious notes)
In this seminal book, Berger and Luckmann examine how knowledge forms and how it is preserved and altered within a society.  Unlike earlier theorists and philosophers, the authors go beyond intellectual history and focus on commonsense, everyday knowledge — the proverbs, morals, values, and beliefs shared among ordinary people.  When first published in 1966, this systematic, theoretical treatise introduced the term "social construction," effectively creating a new thought and transforming Western philosophy.
My grandson has gotten a doctorate in physical therapy.

His parents (and the rest of the family) are very proud of him.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

I have a book tradition also, I only keep the books that I really love. I give the rest away, either to the library, friends, or just leave them in a public spot for someone to find.

Congratulation to your grandson! That's a very important occupation. My son's best friend is a physical therapist.

Mae Travels said...

Having a personal tradition that’s all yours is a new spin on this word — I always think of it as a social construct more than just something we do. But I like your personal tradition.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

JoAnn said...

Congratulations to your grandson! That is an excellent profession.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Job well done by your grandson! I tend to only keep the books that "hit" me in some way. It's interesting to look back over my shelves of kept books to see what I found important/relevant enough to keep.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am not sure I have any book traditions. The only ones I can think of are: I review every book I read, I aim to read a hundred books a year, and I share what I read on my blog and Goodreads.

Congratulations to your grandson! What an achievement!