Thursday, December 30, 2021

End-of-Year Survey

I read "only" 103 books in 2021.  I say that because in 2011, I read 208 books (160 adult and YA books + 48 children's books).  I think I'll just list books read in the coming year, maybe even without rating them.  That's mostly because I see that I really didn't have a very good reading year; I didn't rate many as excellent.  Was it the pandemic?  Was it me?  Even books I tried to re-read didn't work out.  I abandoned books by favorite authors that I was reading because they were so good the first time around, I expected them to be wonderful again.  They weren't.  Maybe it was a combination of ennui, staying home because of COVID, days running together, and not getting out.

Word of the Day
en·nui /änˈwē/ noun = a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.  Example:  "He succumbed to ennui and despair."  Synonyms:  apathy, languor, melancholy, sadness, tedium, weariness, blahs, doldrums, lassitude, listlessness.

What's new?  The year coming up, but otherwise it's still the same ole same ole.

Idiom of the Day

"Same ole same ole" is used to indicate that things remain unchanged.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I agree that 2021 was an odd reading year. I had a number of books that I thoroughly enjoyed and even books that I rated 5/5. But, none of them stick out to me as in years passed when there were books that I LOVED.