Saturday, December 4, 2021

Hygge Holiday Challenge

Meik Wiking, author of The Little Book of Hygge, which I read in 2017, says hygge has been called all these things, among others:
  • the art of creating intimacy
  • coziness of the soul
  • the absence of annoyance
  • taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things
  • cozy togetherness
  • cocoa by candlelight
Let's take the Hygge challenge, shall we?  Here's what's on the list in the illustration above, plus a few others I've found:
  1. Take a break.
  2. Be here now.
  3. Turn off your phone.
  4. Turn down the lights.
  5. Bring out the candles.
  6. Build relationships.
  7. Spend time with your tribe.
  8. Give yourself a break from the demands of healthy living.
  9. Cake is most definitely Hygge.
  10. Live life today, like there is no coffee tomorrow.
  11. Get comfy.
  12. Start a gratitude list.
  13. Add relaxing scents.
  14. Sleep in for 15 minutes or more.
  15. Learn a new skill. 
  16. Turn off the phone before bed.
  17. Send a thank-you note.
  18. Have a candlelight dinner.
  19. Go for a 30-minute walk without your phone.
  20. Cozy up with a new book.
  21. Have a tech-free evening.
  22. Invest in a cozy sweater.
  23. Go on a coffee date in real life.
  24. Add some greenery.
  25. Cook a new recipe with family.
  26. Have a game night.
  27. Treat yourself to an at-home spa day. 
  28. Make a new friend.
  29. Let in natural light.
  30. Enjoy some hot cocoa or tea.
  31. Bake your favorite holiday treat.
  32. Get cozy and watch your favorite movie.
  33. Have a dance party.
  34. Pray, meditate, or just breathe.
  35. Give yourself a break.
  36. "Unbook" yourself.
I put "unbook yourself" last so I could show it with this shirt that says, "I can't.  I'm booked."  I inherited Donna's shirt when she died.  I was wearing it this week in our Circle@Crown Café downstairs when Melvin looked puzzled and said, "I don't get it."  In my case, "I'm booked" means that "I'm reading another book; so whatever it is that you want me to do, I can't do it because I am busy reading."  Suddenly, Melvin got the joke and laughed.  He is also a big reader and usually has a book with him in the Café, just in case there's nobody around to chat with.  Be sure to notice that #20 on the list above says:  "Cozy up with a new book."  Heck, it doesn't even have to be new.  It's also fun to re-read old favorites.

Anyway, adapting these lists is the key to making this work for us, so pick and choose what works for you and whatever seems comfy and cozy and makes you smile.  It's okay to repeat any of these that make YOU feel good.  I'll end by quoting the author of that book I read:

"Cuddling pets has the same effect as cuddling another person ― we feel loved, warm, and safe, which are three key words in the concept of hygge."
― from The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking (page 41)

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wonderful post, Bonnie. I've copied the Hygge Holiday Challenge, thank you, and I hope to add a little more hygge into my life.