Sunday, November 21, 2021

Sunday Salon ~ self-talk, puns, and a book

A great visual to help learners of all ages think about coaching themselves.

When you feel udderly exhausted, it's time to hit the hay.

I exercise by 
jumping to (or two) conclusions, 
running my mouth, 
stepping out of line, 
pushing my luck, 
side-stepping responsibility, 
running wild, 
pushing my luck, 
flying off the handle, and 
carrying things too far (like this sentence).

Did you recognize Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken that I shared?

The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly ~ by Kate Braithwaite, 2019, fiction.  This may be Nonfiction November, but during the second week we were asked to pair a nonfiction book and a fiction book.  This is the fiction, which I happen to have on my Kindle.  So I'm currently reading a biographical book that is also historical, but it's still fiction.  Oh, well.  I've read 87% so far, and I do want to keep going.  My biggest complaint is about the Kindle version NOT being divided into chapters, even though the story bounces back and forth from Nellie Bly (née Elizabeth Cochrane) telling her own story ... to her assistant Beatrice giving us her point of view.  
I also need to read a couple of library books that I'll have to return, both fiction.


Good Thing #1
Memories to look back on ..... and smile.

Good Thing #2
Laughing with long-distance friends by phone.

Good Thing #3
BFFs, both my Best Friend Forever and my Best Furry Friend.


Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different
time zones — to share what we have been doing during the week.
Other Sunday Salon musings are linked at the bottom of Deb's Readerbuzz post.

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Puns always make me smile. I love these, especially "pasture bedtime."

I wish we'd been encouraged to have a growth mindset when I was young. I'd have probably tried more things!

I get frustrated with my Kindle when a book doesn't have page numbers. I like to know where I am in a book.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bonnie!

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I really like the self talk poster and I think it will benefit my eldest son as he starts his last year of studies so I’ve downloaded it, thank you!
The Girl Puzzle is on my TBR, it’s such an interesting story. I do hate it when the formatting is off though.

Wishing you a great reading week

JoAnn said...

I read Ten Days in a Mad-House a few years ago... such an interesting book! The Girl Puzzle sounds like it could be a good follow-up. Happy Thanksgiving, Bonnie.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Laughing with long distance friends on the phone is so very wonderful! I need to do that more so thank you for the reminder.