Sunday, November 7, 2021

Sunday Salon ~ it's all good

Would you take this road "less traveled by" (to quote from the famous poem by Robert Frost)? This road is called the W Road.  Can you see why?  In case you never had to read or memorize Robert Frost's poem, as we did back in the olden days, here it is for you to ponder:

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay 
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

My youngest great-grandchild turned five this week.  How do you like her furry, black cushion?  I wonder what she's playing on that device.

Ten Keys to Happier Living: A Practical Handbook for Happiness ~ by Vanessa King, 2016, self-help, 9/10
I've written about this before, but this seems like a good time to re-read this nonfiction book about happiness during Nonfiction November.  "Happiness is not something ready made; it comes from your own actions," says the Dalai Lama, who is the patron of Action for Happiness.  Vanessa King, expert on positive psychology, has created ten key evidence-based actions that have been shown to increase well-being — at home, at work, and in the world around you.  We all want to be happy, but what does that actually mean and what can we do in our everyday lives to be happier?  Fortunately, psychologists now have evidence of what really makes a difference and helps us to be happier and more resilient to life's ups and downs.  The author has drawn on the latest scientific studies to create a set of evidence-based practical actions.  These will help you connect with people, nurture your relationships, and find purpose.
Donna kept a Good Things Jar during 2019 and, after she died, I asked her sister if I could have that jar full of good things Donna wrote about that year.  Yesterday, I unfolded a note she wrote during September; one sentence about that week says:  "On Sunday, I went to dinner at Granite City Diner with Bonnie and Marie."  Oh, my.  That's bittersweet to read, since Marie and Donna both died this year.  I opened another one randomly, and once again Donna mentioned Marie, who was going to her son's wedding in Israel the following week.  I don't want to open them all at once, so I may share one or two here occasionally.

I think I'll start a new thing in my Sunday Salon posts, patterned after Deb of Readerbuzz, who made the buzzy bee headers I've been using.


Good Thing #1
The girl had an exciting birthday this year.

Good Thing #2
I got my booster shot a week ago.

Good Thing #3
Reading the "good things" Donna wrote in 2019.


Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to share what we have been doing during the week.  
Other Sunday Salon musings are linked at the bottom of Deb's Readerbuzz post.

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

How much happiness it must bring you to read that good thing from the jar of your friend! I hope you will share more of your finds from the jar with us. The older I get, the more I realize how much it is people who bring us happiness.

And it brings me happiness to see that you posting some of the good things in your life this week.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Deb. Your buzzy bees also make me happy!

Helen's Book Blog said...

I love that Donna's jar will continue to bring you (and us) happiness; it's one of her legacies.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I’m very sorry for your losses. What a lovely legacy from your friend..

Wishing you a great reading week