Saturday, July 24, 2021

Here's your assignment, if you choose to accept it

My friend Diana posted a sentence on Facebook, and added this comment:
Grab the book nearest you right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence as your status, and post these instructions in a comment to this status.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual; use the closest book.
I've followed the instructions twice:  once for myself and once for Donna, since I'd brought a bag of books home from her apartment last night.  Her bagful of books were in front of my bookshelves, so both were equally close on my left when I read Diana's sentence.

Bonnie's book:
"Get on with it" — p. 56 of God Meant It for Good: A Fresh Look at the Life of Joseph by R. T. Kendall, 1986, theology.
Donna's book:
"I still recall Uncle Frank ending a story with the statement, 'And that's the truth!'" — p. 56 of Writing as a Second Language: From Experience to Story to Prose by Donald Davis, 2000, writing.
Now it's your turn.  Grab the nearest book and tell us in the comments what the fifth sentence on page 56 is.  I did one for Donna because she's in hospice and is now unresponsive.  Unfortunately, "that's the truth," as Donna's quote says.  Now I'll "get on with it" and go sit with her awhile.
_________________________________________________________________

Added Sunday 7/25/21

I sat with Donna for a few hours so her sister Jane could have a break and go eat supper.  Donna was responding to me when I was there and with Jane when she returned from her break.  Jane had been back sitting beside her bed for a couple of hours when Donna died.  Jane texted me at 8:01 pm, just before sunset last night:  "She's gone, Bonnie."  Now I'll "get on with it" without her in my world.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am so sorry to hear about Donna, Bonnie! Life is better with wonderful friends by our side and you and Donna really had an amazing friendship for many decades. You will have to "get on with it," but can also take the time to grieve, remember, and appreciate. Sending love.