Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Books and music

Everything, Everything ~ by Nicola Yoon, 2015, YA fiction
The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known.  The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.
The Sun Is Also a Star ~ by Nicola Yoon, 2016, YA fiction
Natasha, whose family is hours away from being deported, and Daniel, a first generation Korean American who strives to live up to his parents' expectations, unexpectedly fall in love and must determine which path they will choose in order to be together.
My friend Donna was put on hospice and taken by ambulance to a nursing home after three weeks in the hospital.  Mere days before she died, she remembered to tell her sister to return these two books she had checked out from the University City Library.  I don't know if Donna completed either book, but I was curious.  They are YA books, and Donna taught English to young adults, so I put those two books on reserve for myself.  When he called me on Tuesday, I explained the situation to David, who sends home delivery books to several of us here at the Crown Center, telling him I'll return these two books for Donna and he'll have to take her off his list of folks to call.

Music Therapy
I arrived to sit with Donna when she was on hospice care, and a young man named Brian was standing beside her bed, strumming his guitar and singing to her.  I was not aware of this kind of therapy, but he is a Music Therapist for Hospice.  Isn't that wonderful?  His card shows he has a Master of Music Therapy degree (MMT) and is board certified.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted 
by Claire from The Captive Reader and Sharlene from Real Life Reading that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.  To 
see what others are reading, click this link.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

So sorry about your friend. The books sound good.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I loved Everything, Everything. I didn't know they did music therapy in hospice, but it sounds like a wonderful idea.