Sunday, June 6, 2021

Why am I feeling joyful these June days?

Joyful June Calendar says:  "June 4 ~ Take a photo of something that brings you joy, and share it."  So I took this picture to share today.  I want you to enjoy the splash of color of these beautiful flowers outside my building, too.

We gathered to acknowledge our losses.  F
ifteen of our neighbors died between March 2020 and May 2021, one of whom was my friend Sheila.  We met outside, wearing our masks and socially distanced from each other, but we gathered!  That's me in the center of the "crowd" photo.

The group of friends was permitted to play Bananagrams again on Saturday evening as they did weekly before the lockdown last year.  Donna, Sandy, Miriam, and Gail played on a table outside, since it's warm now.

Floyd scrubbed the patio this week.  I hope that means our Circle@Crown Café will open back up before too long.  A lot of us miss being able to socialize with friends in the Café.

Deb at Readerbuzz hosts Sunday Salon, a place for us to link up and share what we have been doing during the week.

4 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Flowers always make me joyful. My husband plays badgammon but I've never gotten into it. I play Canasta and Rummy cub .

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never had flowers in my yard until this year. I don't know why, but I felt an urge to fill my beds with flowers. Fingers crossed that they live. The flowers in your photo make me happy, too.

I'm glad your able to gather to celebrate the lives of all of those who have passed in the last year including your friend Sheila. It's hard for me to say goodbye to those I have loved. I hope I will grow to be more like my dad at 94. For him, a funeral is a part of life.

I like the Joyful June calendar this month. It's been a long time since I felt I was able to focus on joy after all the awfulness of the past year.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am sorry to hear that you lost so many residents over the past year, but pleased that you were all able to gather to remember them and share memories.

Every little bit of opening feels good whether it's sitting outside just to chat, to play games, or to eat. Re-entry feels strange, but with each bit I do I feel more and more comfortable.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I don't think we lost more of our neighbors than usual, since all of us are elderly. I'm 81, and Sheila was 78. But when someone died back in the "olden days" before March 2020, someone on staff would post a photo on an easel in the hallway with information about the funeral service (or celebration of life). With staff working from home for over a year, nothing has been the same. Fifteen people is an average of about one a month. So Deb, for most of us here, like your dad, funerals are simply a normal part of our lives.