Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sunday Salon ~ words, books, and laughter

People had fun with my recent post full of puns, which play with words that sound alike.  So today, I'm sharing this iceberg lettuce pun I posted in 2018.  Shall I keep posting puns, maybe have a Punday on Monday?

Here's an accidental play on words from someone on my neighborhood listserv, who's selling a "black rod iron table."  I promise not to get over-wrought about a wrought iron table.

Word of the Day
o·ver·wrought /ˌōvəˈrôt / adjective = in a state of nervous anxiety.  Example:  "I'd be more overwrought if I discovered that I myself had accidentally called it a rod iron table."
===========================
Recently finished book
The Paper Bracelet ~ by Rachael English, 2020, fiction (Ireland), 9/10 ~ "Religion had treated her like a criminal when in reality she'd been a victim" (p. 96).

Books I'm reading now
Color: A Natural History of the Palette ~ by Victoria Finlay, 2002, history, 468 pages (in the print edition) ~ I'm reading this one for the Big Book Summer Challenge, so I'll be reading it slowly chapter by chapter over the summer.  Since it's nonfiction, I won't confuse it with the fiction I'll be reading.

The Little Dog in the Big Plague ~ by C. C. Alma, 2015, fiction (novella) ~ Since this novella is only 67 pages long, I'll probably finish it today.

Book up next
The Rebel Nun ~ by Marj Charlier, 2021, historical fiction (France)


    Deb at Readerbuzz hosts Sunday Salon
    a place for us to link up and share what 
    we have been doing during the week.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I adore puns, and I hope you will keep them coming. You might like to cross-post these on Mareli's Wondrous Words Wednesdays, found every other week.

I would like to hear more about The Rebel Nun. Paris in July is coming up soon, and I am not sure yet what I'm reading. I am on the lookout for books set in France. I'll take a close look at your post about the book.


Helen's Book Blog said...

The Paper Bracelet looks like an interesting read from the quote you posted.

I like the idea of a Punday Monday!