Wednesday, June 30, 2021

I ought to do it

Have you ever thought about all the things you ought to do before you die?  I have, so do you think I should write my oughtobiography?  I tried to look up that word — it's a word if I use it! — but I got "showing results for autobiography" from Google.  Lest you also assume that I goofed, let's define four related words:
  • Autobiography is the story of a person’s life, written by that person, focused on facts and things that happened.
  • Biography is the story of a person's life, written by someone else, focused on facts and things that happened.
  • Memoir is the story of a person's life, written by that person, but focused on a particular theme or idea.  So a memoir is more limited.
  • Oughtobiography is a story of a person's life, written by that person, with the focus on what she feels she ought to have done (or ought to do) before she dies.
So I ought to do it.  Write an oughtobiography, I mean.  What would you include in your oughtobiography?  Come on!  Get creative.

One more, and then I'll quit playing with words.  Someone on Facebook shared this:  "It was a sad and disappointing day when I discovered my Universal Remote Control did not, in fact, control the universe. (Not even remotely.)"

This is Chris, my newest neighbor.  Nancy, whose apartment is filled with stuffed dogs and dog pictures and who has been wearing a mask during the pandemic that makes the lower half of her face look like a dog, has brought 5-month-old Chris home to live with her.  She's never had a cat before, but she's in love.  Isn't Chris cute?

Below is a bit of cat trivia for you, Nancy.  I hope you enjoy it and have fun with your new kitty.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Those are some very compelling reasons to get a cat! And Chris is adorable.

I like the idea of an oughtobiography and wonder if writing it encourages the author to actually do the things.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Since you may be the first to write an oughtobiography (unless I decided to do it), let us know if it encourages you to actually do the things you think you ought to do, Helen.

Vicki said...

"oughtobiography", love it! and I love the dog mask :)

Chris is so cute, looks like my cat Boots!