Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Girl Effect

When I went blog-hopping this morning, I discovered that Ronna had blogged about her daughters -- after she had found this powerful video. I also have two daughters, who are now adults -- and I have four granddaughters and one great-granddaughter.



Wow! That's shocking!

I have a connection to another part of the world. Because my brother's son and his wife have adopted a daughter from Ethiopia, I want to share this video as well.



And I think of my great-niece. I know little Jane is now in a safer place -- the United States -- but I am very aware that things are not perfect for women anywhere in the world.

You really should click here to go read what Ronna said.  Then click here to read what other bloggers are saying -- TODAY -- all together.  We're all saying it today, now, for the GIRLS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Bonnie.

Beth said...

For sure, things aren't perfect for women here in the U.S., but 12-year-old poor girls certainly have more options here than girls from many other countries. I guess you could call our family poor, but we are so grateful that our daughter (and son) have been able to go to college on scholarship (and will soon graduate). My husband and I are only high-school graduates, but we had bigger dreams for our children and are so thankful that they have been able to fulfil them.

Little Jane is a beautiful baby---she is blessed to be so loved.

Giulietta "Julie" Nardone said...

Hey Bonnie,

So interesting to see what all the GE bloggers chose to write about today. All different! You've got a lot of daughters in your life. Women in other parts of the world probably have no choice but to give their daughters away. Must be very difficult for them.

Thx, G.
http://www.giuliettathemuse.com/blog

Helen's Book Blog said...

I haven't heard of Girleffect.org before, but after writing this comment I'll go straight there! Friends of mine are in Ethiopia as I write this adopting 2 children (ages 5 and 7).

Doing what we can for girls anywhere in the world has such a great impact and is so important. I remember Greg Mortensen's books that say when you educate a boy you educate a person, but when you educate a girl you educate a village (or something like that).

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, my nephew and his wife flew to Ethiopia in January of this year to bring Jane home.