Sunday, August 22, 2010

Seven Year Switch ~ here's a teaser for ya!

I'll be writing about this book in my very next post (tomorrow), but here is a humorous teaser I want to share from page 126 of Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook, 2010:
"Hey, girlfriend," Cynthia yelled from about three feet away.

I jumped.  "Geez," I said.  "I didn't even see you."

"I know.  I could have knocked you over with a fender."
That is not a typo.  This Cynthia character is constantly challenging me to see the world with new eyes as she comes up with one malapropism after another.  (The word malapropism comes from a character in Sheridan's 1775 book, The Rivals -- Mrs. Malaprop was noted for her misapplication of words.)  Here's another malapropism from Cynthia in Seven Year Switch, page 12:
"God, you never seem to amaze me."

No comments: