Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm the older generation, you know!

This came in today's email (thanks, Carole):

A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one," the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with dsl, light-speed computers and..."

When he paused to take another drink of beer, the senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young, so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little twit, what are you doing for the next generation?"

The applause was resounding.
__________

The definition of the word twit (which I substituted for the rhyming word that was in the email) is "an insignificant or bothersome person."

6 comments:

CJ said...

I really don't like that picture but I love the story. It's so true. We owe a great deal to the generations that have come before us.

cjh

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I googled to find something to illustrate this "joke" and chose this picture (labeled "elder abuse") because I so wanted the abused man in the photo to be able to say "you arrogant little twit" to his bully. Wasn't the young man at the football game also an abusive bully?

Anonymous said...

'Git' also rhymes with 'twit.' Good story.

CJ said...

Bonnie -

I figured that was why you picked that photo and I understand it but boy, does the look in that man's eyes bother me.

cjh

Anonymous said...

What a great story...I love it! I also like the word "twit". It's a very satisfying word to say!

Dewey said...

Heh heh heh.