Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I know these women!

My friend Mary Grace has sent me a link to Women in Art (2007) by Philip Scott Johnson. Since I visited the Vermeer exhibit with her, I was looking especially for any women by Vermeer. Here are some of the women I recognized immediately:

Two Sisters (On the Terrace), 1881, by Pierre Auguste Renoir.

Berthe Morisot with a Bouquet of Violets, a portrait by Édouard Manet, dated 1872.

Everyone will recognize the Mona Lisa, but did you notice Lady with an Ermine by Leonardo da Vinci?

This portrait of Venus is part of a larger painting: The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli.

Okay, your turn. Who are these women? Give the artist's name and/or a URL, if possible ... and I'll add the portrait to this post.

Philip Scott Johnson's great video is showing now, here.

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Hmmm, I must not have watched the video in THIS post when I read it last June:

http://thiseclecticlife.com/2007/06/01/my-comment-box-led-me-to-some-link-love/

Yep, it's the same video, but embedded in Shelley's post. I must have been in a hurry that day ... or something.