Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Latest book arrival

Okay, so your eyes just glazed over when you saw this title. Uh-huh, I recognized that look!  But I'm excited.  Tuesday evening the college provided  a meal for adjunct teachers during this year's orientation, and when we went into our break-out groups, we who will be teaching developmental writing got this book and the textbook (which I got and wrote about weeks ago).
This second edition "includes revised chapters on technology and the writing process and focuses on topics relevant to non-native speakers of English in the developmental writing course. Classic scholars from the field such as Mina Shaughnessy and June Jordan, along with several new voices, offer practical, sound insight for instructors both in and outside the classroom."
I have a degree in English and have taught writing classes, but I've never had occasion to read a book like this -- and I look forward to it.  The fall semester starts in a week and a half, and I'm fired up and ready to go.  Tonight I'll start reading this 464-page book on Teaching Developmental Writing: Background Readings, by Susan Naomi Bernstein, 2004.  (No, I'm not racing to finish every article before classes start.)

What?  Not your idea of bedtime reading?

2 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Excited for you Bonnie! Have fun in your new classroom. How about assigning each student to create a blog for their writing assignments?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Susan, that's a great idea! However, it may overwhelm my students, some of whom may be trying to go to college while learning English as a second language. People often think blogging must be incredibly difficult, though you and I have done enough it no longer seems difficult. I'll keep it in mind, though, in case there's someone who could benefit from blogging. Thanks.