Friday, August 28, 2009

Forgive Me ~ by Amanda Eyre Ward, 2007

Although I haven't "officially" written a review of this book (until now), I have mentioned it several times on my blogs. During Dewey's 24-Hour Book-A-Thon in June 2008, we were challenged to write a limerick or haiku about one of the books read during the read-a-thon. Mine related to Forgive Me by Amanda Eyre Ward. (Be gentle with your evaluation of this haiku, folks, and consider this ... I wrote it around 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. after being in a marathon read for 15-16 hours ... with 8+ hours to go!)
children kill a son
his mother can't forgive it
other mother's grief
That gives you an idea of the book's plot. Another mini-challenge had us research the novel's setting. Forgive Me was set in Cape Town, South Africa, and I found some wonderful photos to help me visualize it:


The best way to grasp what it was like during the time of Truth and Reconciliation Committee meetings in South Africa is to read this book, which I highly recommend.

Here are five interesting facts about South Africa, gleaned from my research:
(1) Cape Town is home to Table Mountain. The highest point on Table Mountain is 1,086 metres (3,563 feet) above sea level. (Click to enlarge photo.)

(2) Cape Town is the second most populous city in South Africa; it was the largest city in South Africa until the growth of Johannesburg.

(3) According to the South African National Census, the population of Cape Town was 2,893,251 people in 2001.

(4) Wikipedia had this photo of Bo-Kaap, an area of Cape Town where part of the story is set.

(5) Read what Absolute Vanilla, a South African, wrote about the violence and lack of logic in her country.



Last year I posted what the author wrote about being a writer. A few months later my Bella Novella book club discussed Forgive Me.

I haven't read her other books, but this one is a very good book. Rated: 8/10.

No comments: