Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Yoghurt or Yogurt?

Yogurt and yoghurt are both English terms.  The spelling is usually "yogurt" in the United States, while "yoghurt" is predominantly used in British English (the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand).

When I went looking for something to illustrate the diffence in the two words, I found the picture above.  But it says there is also a difference in what the two are made of!  Really?!?  Now I'm confused.  I live in the USA, so I guess my version is on the right.  Can you read that small print?  Here's what it says:
  • YOGHURT ~ The milk they use is typically heated to a higher temperature before fermentation. Traditionally made with sheep or goat milk, although cow's milk is also used.
  • YOGURT ~ A yummy dairy product made by the process of fermenting milk using good bacteria. 
The words yogurt and yoghurt may look similar, but they have slightly different meanings, apparently.  Both are products with a milk base, but their origins and the way they’re produced vary slightly.

Then I read that "yoghurt isn’t just a funny way of spelling yogurt.  It’s actually a type of yogurt that originated in Turkey and somewhere in the Middle East.  It’s made sort of in the same way as regular yogurt, but the milk they use is typically heated to a higher temperature before fermentation.  This gives it a slightly different flavor and texture compared to regular yogurt.  Yoghurt is also traditionally made with sheep or goat milk, although cow’s milk is also used, and it’s rich in probiotics, which can help support a healthy gut."

There are also different kinds of yogurt.  I usually get Greek Yogurt, though I go from flavor to flavor.  This shows Strawberry, but Monday I brought home vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt.  And that brings me to the reason I'm thinking of this word (and its spelling) in the first place.  Yes, I'm in the USA, but I wrote YOGHURT on my list.  Wait, why?  That's when I looked up the "correct spelling" of the word.  Maybe I was confused because I read books (and blogs) from all over the world.  That's when I got online to figure out the "correct spelling" of the word.  And that's why the word (words?) became the subject for my Wednesday Words.  (And I learned some new things.)

Then I wondered why it's called "Greek Yogurt", and found this posted HERE:
Yogurt is milk cultured in a particular way.  A quart of milk makes a quart of yogurt.  "Greek yogurt" is just strained yogurt.  You can make it from regular yogurt by dumping it into a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth and letting it drain for an hour or so.  So a quart of milk makes less than a quart of strained yogurt.

Though strained yogurt is popular in Greece, it's also popular in other parts of the Balkans and the Middle East.  It's only called Greek because it was popularized in the US by a Greek company.

No comments: