Sunday, October 6, 2024

A book and a story about a tired puppy

Billy Budd ~ by Herman Melville, 1948, novella, 96 pages (plus a 48-page Reader's Supplement)

This is a sea adventure classic and the final novel by American writer Herman Melville.  It was first published posthumously in London in 1924.  Melville had begun writing the story in November 1888, but left it unfinished at his death in 1891.  British critics called it a masterpiece when it was published in London, and it quickly took its place as a classic literary work in the United States.  Billy Budd represents Melville's return to prose fiction after three decades when he wrote only poetry.  He started it as a poem, a ballad entitled "Billy in the Darbies."  In 1919 the novella was discovered in manuscript form by someone studying Melville's papers.

I read the book years ago.  Actually, decades ago.  My copy is the version shown above.  It has lots of copyright dates:  1948, 1956, 1962, 1966, and 1972.  I can remember reading it in school long ago, so I picked it up to read again and see what I think of it now.
I want to share a story I recently learned about (HERE).  A little German Shephard puppy was crying to take her bed on a walk.  I understand, since walks make me tired, too.  (This isn't the same pup, but a cute one I found online.)

Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh, Billy Budd. I remember that one well. It was challenging reading that book since I knew nothing about the vocabulary related to a ship. I wonder what you think of it, all these years later...