Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Women's groups in Methodism that I remember

Women's groups in the United Methodist Church have changed names several times during my life.  (I found these dates HERE).

1939 ~ The various women’s home and foreign missionary societies of churches that came together before my time became the Woman’s Society of Christian Service.  (My mother was president of the WSCS at the church we attended.)

1968 ~ The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united to form the United Methodist Church (UMC).

1972 ~ The Women’s Society of Christian Service and the Wesleyan Service Guild were united to form United Methodist Women (UMW).

2019 ~ The UMW celebrated 150 years since eight denominations had come together and begun various women's missionary societies.

2022 ~ United Methodist Women (UMW) became United Women in Faith (UWF).  (Some of us still say UMW; old habits die hard.)

No comments: