Sunday, September 22, 2024

Sept. 22-28 is Banned Books Week in 2024

That's this week, so I hope some of you will read a banned book or two.  Here are a few tips:

As if Women Mattered ~ by Virginia DeLuca, 2014, memoir (about divorce in her 60's), 344 pages

1972 – A time of war and Watergate, of Ms. Magazine and consciousness raising.  As the post-World War II era of peace, prosperity, and pointy bras gives way to the life-expanding changes of the women’s movement, four women meet and over the course of two decades, create a space that allows them all to thrive, with humor and irreverence, as they each struggle to reconcile the realities of adult life with the expectations of youth.  She has another book coming out in 2025:  If You Must Go, I Wish You Triplets.
"Friends, like flowers, give pleasure by being there."  As I was going through boxes of books, I came across an old plaque of mine that had that on it.  W
hile looking for an illustration, I couldn't find the exact quote online, but I did find this one (with flowers, even) that speaks of gratitude and joy.  My favorite word  JOY.

The autumnal equinox arrived on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 8:44 a.m. ET (Eastern Time), according to the Old Farmer's Almanac.  That means it happened at 7:44 a.m. in St. Louis.  The equinox arrives at the same moment worldwide.

Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Thank you for the reminder! I was so cognizant of this week when I was a librarian and now it surprises me each year. I am going to go right now and choose my banned book to read this week.