Sunday, April 23, 2023

World Book Day ~ and Sunday Salon

World Book Day is April 23 in the United States

In 1995, at UNESCO’s General Conference, it was decided that April 23rd would be named World Book and Copyright Day as a way to pay tribute to books and authors.  It was also determined that this day would be good for encouraging everyone to read and enjoy the pleasures that go along with it.  April 23rd was chosen because that is the date when Miguel de Cervantes, William Shakespeare, Vladimir Nabokov, Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, and Maurice Druon all died.  All of them are famous authors.


I thought I'd show you some books that I'm reading or have just recently finished, so do you want to see what library books I have at the moment?  My nearest library is University City Public Library, now located temporarily in this building while the library building is being renovated.  (You can also see one of the pair of lions representing the city in this photo and in the logo on the left.)
First, the eleven books I now have checked out from the University City Library:
  1. Abigail Takes the Wheel ~ by Avi, illustrated by Don Bolognese, 1999, children's fiction, 64 pages, 9/10
  2. Ashes of Roses ~ by Mary Jane Auch, 2002, YA historical fiction, 256 pages
  3. An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good (Book 1 of 2) ~ by Helene Tursten, translated by Marlaine Delargy, 2018, mystery stories, 184 pages
  4. An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed (Book 2 of 2) ~ by Helene Tursten, translated by Marlaine Delargy, 2020, mystery stories, 272 pages
  5. Feathers: Not Just for Flying ~ by Melissa Stewart, illustrated by Sarah S. Brannen, 2014, children's picture book, 32 pages
  6. Genius and Anxiety: How Jews Changed the World, 1847-1947 ~ by Norman Lebrecht, 2010, history, 464 pages
  7. How Do You Spell Unfair?  MacNolia Cox and the National Spelling Bee ~ by Carole Boston Weatherford, 2023, children's historical fiction (Ohio and DC), 40 pages, 9/10
  8. Miss Rumphius ~ by Barbara Cooney, 1982, children's picture book, 32 pages, 10/10
  9. Nala's World: One Man, His Rescue Cat, and a Bike Ride around the Globe ~ by Dean Nicholson with Garry Jenkins, 2020, travel (Scotland), 261 pages
  10. One Amazing Elephant ~ by Linda Oatman High, 2017, young adult fiction, 272 pages
  11. Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within ~ by Natalie Goldberg, 1986, 2005, writing, 288 pages
And here are two more that I have checked out of the Crown Center Library:
  1. The Beautiful Struggle ~ by Ta-Nehisi Coates, 2008, memoir, 240 pages
  2. The Last Days of Dogtown – by Anita Diamant, 2005, historical fiction (Massachusetts), 304 pages
Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
hosts The Sunday Salon.

6 comments:

crackercrumblife said...

Miss Rumphius is one of my favorite picture books. :) It sounds like you got some great books!

Harvee said...

World Book Day at Amazon was offering a free kindle book from their list. I got a thriller from the U.K.

I used to get the books sent to me and handed them out to puzzled walkers at the mall for World Book Day.

https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Publishers used to do a giveaway for World Book Day, and I was able for a couple of years to share books with others. One year I got copies of Sandra Cisneros' book, House on Mango Street, in Spanish, and I shared those with parents at my school. Another year I got copies of Kate DiCamillo's book, Because of Winn-Dixie, and I read these with a group of second graders.

Writing Down the Bones is the book my writing teacher uses. We do writing practice in class and as homework and share what we have written without comment.

Helen's Book Blog said...

That's a great list of books. I feel bad that I haven't done anything for World Book Day in a few years.

Cindy said...

It looks like a nice eclectic mix of books, enjoy!

Vicki said...

I didn't even think about yesterday being World Book Day. I need to add a notice on my phone for it I guess. I hope you have a great week!