Thursday, April 13, 2023

Spring blooms, tornado skies, and bookish books

Spring has sprung!  This is one of several trees blooming at the Crown Center, where I live.

"The US population has more than doubled since 1950."  (Quoted from a Wired article dated April 7th about tornadoes and how more people are affected by them now.)  I took the photo on the left when we were under a tornado watch on March 31st, but our sky got lighter just as I reached for my camera.  
It had been as dark as the upper part of the sky in the photo above, even as the sun shone brightly on the building next door to me.  Quite a contrast, actually!  I sent my photo to my children and grandchildren, calling it "tornado skies."
The Echo of Old Books ~ by Barbara Davis, 2023, historical fiction, 425 pages

Rare-book dealer Ashlyn Greer has an affinity for books that extends beyond the intoxicating scent of old paper, ink, and leather.  She can feel the echoes of the books' previous owners — an emotional fingerprint only she can read.  When Ashlyn discovers a pair of beautifully bound volumes that appear to have never been published, her gift quickly becomes an obsession.  Not only is each inscribed with a startling incrimination, but the authors (Hemi and Belle) tell conflicting sides of a tragic romance.

With no trace of how these mysterious books came into the world, Ashlyn is caught up in a decades-old literary mystery, beckoned by two hearts in ruins, whoever they were, wherever they are.  Determined to learn the truth behind the doomed lovers' tale, she reads on, following a trail of broken promises and seemingly unforgivable betrayals.  The more Ashlyn learns about Hemi and Belle, the nearer she comes to bringing closure to their love story — and to the unfinished chapters of her own life.

I find myself drawn to books about books, bookstores, and libraries.  Am I alone in this, or is it something common to all book bloggers?  If you can think of any titles of books fitting that description, would you share them with us, please?

3 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Books-about-books are one of my favorite genres. I like both fiction and nonfiction stories centering on books, but I tend to prefer true stories. Here's a link to my list of the ones I've read, if you are interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1654645-deb-readerbuzz-nance?order=d&ref=nav_mybooks&shelf=books-about-books&sort=rating

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Deb.

Helen's Book Blog said...

My daughter was just sending me photos of all the trees blooming in NY; I think it is lifting her spirits even though she knows more cold weather is on its way (Ithaca really has such a terribly long winter!).