Friday, April 28, 2023

Beginning ~ in the nineteenth century

Beginning:
Between the middle of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, a handful of men and women changed the way we see the world.  Some of their names are on our lips for all time:  Marx, Freud, Proust, Einstein, Kafka.
The fourth paragraph is more interesting:

Folk wisdom has it that five Jews wrote the rules of society:
  • Moses said, "The law is everything."
  • Jesus said, "Love is everything."
  • Marx said, "Money is everything."
  • Freud said, "Sex is everything."
  • Einstein said "Everything is relative."

Genius and Anxiety: How Jews Changed the World, 1847-1947 ~ by Norman Lebrecht, 2010, history, 464 pages

What do these visionaries have in common?  They all had Jewish origins.  They all had a gift for thinking in wholly original, even earth-shattering ways.  The Jewish people made up less than 0.25% of the world’s population in 1847, and yet they saw what others did not.

Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.

2 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

This sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing!

Vagabonde said...

This sounds like a very informative book. I don’t know much about world religions, because I am French and my family was secular, like most of French people of any religion (growing up in Paris I had Christian, Jewish and Muslim friends and none of them attended any service) Although while in San Francisco I was very interested in Buddhism. Years ago I read mysteries by Harry Kemelman like “ Friday the Rabbi slept late” or “Thursday the Rabbi walked out” and in it the Rabbi would talk about his religion which I found fascinating. That’s the way I learnt a bit about the Jewish religion. After the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting a couple years back, synagogues invited people to come to one of their Shabbat services. I attended one in Atlanta to show support. People there were so friendly I really enjoyed it.