Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Wednesday Words ~ wallah, ta-da, and voilà

I was reading a book and came across the word "wallah," which I assumed was a misspelling of voilà, which sounds like "wallah" (with a "V" sound in front of it).  The problem was that, even though I had decided the author mean to write "voilà," I could not for the life of me come up with the spelling of "voilà."  I kept thinking that the word starts with a "V" and means the same thing as saying "ta-da!"  So I called my friend Sharon, a translator who is fluent in six languages (German, Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch, and Vlaams) besides her native English.  When I said, "Wallah," she immediately replied, "Voilà" and spelled the word for me (V-O-I-L-A).  Yep, that's the word I wanted!  Thank you, Sharon.

I googled these three definitions to help make some sense of what I'm saying here:
  1. Wallah is an Arabic word meaning "I swear by God" used to make a promise or express great credibility.  Allah is the name of God in Islam, and we can see it's part of this word.  Example:  "Wallah, I'm telling the truth."
  2. Ta-da comes from the Bulgarian or Slavic words for "ta + da" (та да!) meaning "that there."  It is an exclamation used in magic shows by magicians to announce the conclusion of the trick or the illusion to the audience.  It's the equivalent of the French word voilà.  Example:  "Ta-da!" the woman exclaimed. when she finally found her favorite mixing bowl.
  3. Voilà / vwäˈlä / is used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic, says Merriam-Webster.  Example:  As he pulls a rabbit out of his hat, that magician in the illustration above shouts, "Voilà!"  (In another place I found:  Voilà is a French borrowing into English that has mostly retained is Francophonic pronunciation:  \vwä-ˈlä\, or \vwah-LAH\.)
So I was right.  I came up with the word's ta-da equivalent, but just could NOT come up with the one word I wanted.  If I had just looked up the definition of ta-da when I thought of it, I would have found what I wanted right there in its definition:  voilà!  But I did have a nice talk with Sharon.

No comments: