Sunday, June 12, 2022

Books and more books ~ as usual

Two books of short stories

Grandaddy's Short Stories ~ by Everette Summers, 2007, short stories, 47 pages, 1/10 (This book is an editor's nightmare.  For example:  The author used the words "jester" instead of "gesture," and "wondering around" instead of "wandering."  And he "sat" something down before he "set" down himself.)

The author:  "My childhood years were spent in the beautiful mountains of southwest Virginia.  It was there that I wished to transpose my every experience into story form, so that others could share and enjoy in the same experiences much the same as I did.  My love of nature and my desire to make people laugh seem to go hand in hand.  Therefore a lot of my personal experiences are real and somewhat comical.  Now that my children have grown, I have begun passing these stories along to the next generation of eager listeners, thus creating new characters and never-ending adventures that I hope will be carried on long after I have left this life.  I wish my children and grandchildren to be able to pick up one of my books, read a story and feel as if I am still a part of their lives."

Grandaddy's Short Stories: Book II ~ by Everette Summers, 2007, short stories, 90 pages, 4/10.  (I'm glad I went ahead and read this book in spite of the words he misused, because he mentioned my hometown of Chattanooga in some of these stories.)

The author:  "I enjoy writing short stories as they help me to deal with the day-to-day stresses I encounter.  At work, I will often tell my co-workers about events in my life and they will just shake their heads, laugh and then tell me I should write a book.  So upon the advice of many, here is my second book with several more already in the making stage."

I read from this book occasionally:

My Favorites: A Collection of Short Stories ~ by Ben Bova, 2020, science fiction, 247 pages

Exploring the boundaries of the genre, Bova not only writes of spaceships, aliens, and time travel in most of his titles, but also speculates on the beginnings of science fiction in "Scheherazade and the Storytellers," as well as the morality of man in "The Angel’s Gift."  Stories such as "The CafĂ© Coup" and "We’ll Always Have Paris" dip into speculative historical fiction, asking questions about what would happen if someone could change history for the better.

 
Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

4 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I don't read short stories very often, but when I do I realize I quite like them. We can pick them up, read a bit, put it down and return later without breaking the rhythm of the story.

Elza Reads said...

I'm not one for science fiction, but lately I've also read a few more short story collections.

Have a good week Bonnie and happy reading.

Elza Reads

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, the first two books were my friend Donna's, and both were signed by the author. One even has the date: 4/8/'08. Yes, written like that, with the apostrophe before the 08. I'm still reading the second of the two books, and I just ran across "Chattanooga" (my hometown) as the location of the story (pages 33-37). I'm glad I decided to read the second book, in spite of the extremely bad misuse of words.

Elza, I prefer to call it "speculative fiction," a sort of "what if...?" kind of story. I wrote that in the last sentence of the post, where I mention that the stories "dip into speculative historical fiction, asking questions about what would happen if someone could change history for the better."

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I get very annoyed when there are lots of problems with a book text. I'm glad you enjoyed the story anyway.

I have been missing reading science fiction and fantasy. Last year I bought a collection of short stories of science fiction, a best-of book, and I keep intending to read it.