Tuesday, March 15, 2022

TWOsday ~ Maus I and Maus II

Maus I: My Father Bleeds History ~ by Art Spiegelman, 1986, history (Poland/New York), 160 pages, 7/10
Maus II: And Here My Troubles Began ~ by Art Spiegelman, 1992, history, 144 pages, DNF
A story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father's story and history itself.  Widely hailed as the greatest graphic novel ever written, Maus recounts the chilling experiences of the author’s father during the Holocaust, with Jews drawn as wide-eyed mice and Nazis as menacing cats.
I got through the first book, but this is definitely NOT a good time (for me, at least) to read this.  So I DNF (did not finish) the second book.  Nancy the Bookfool read and reviewed Maus so she could judge its merits for herself after reading that Tennessee school board members didn't want these books on library shelves.  She recommends Maus, but I can't read any more of it right now.  Maybe never.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Maus I and II are both so well done (and, hence, difficult to read). It makes me so sad that school boards want to ban books. I just don't get it.