Sunday, March 27, 2022

Books, libraries, WindowSwap, and groceries

My books are always calling me!  I am currently reading the book I shared in my Book Beginnings on Friday post a couple of days ago:  A Tuscan Memory by Angela Petch, 2020, fiction (Italy), 272 pages.

We had a visit from David of the University City Library on March 3rd, meeting in our little library at Crown Center.  Here he is talking to me during his visit.  The University City Library sends books every three weeks to seniors all over the community who sign up for the program.  The library folks choose books based on our general interest or our favorite authors.  Some of us reserve books that we choose ourselves, if we know how to use a computer to make our own reservations.  So I've been talking to Dave (or now, his new helper Loretta) every three weeks for several years.  The next time Dave or Loretta calls, I'll say I'm reading from my own shelves for now, as I posted on Monday.

Dave is on the left in the photo above with Ris
é, Mary, Sandy, and me (with my hand on Sandy's mobile chair).  Since Donna died, Risé and I are the only ones still re-shelving books.  I really do appreciate Risé a lot; she's doing most of the work culling our bookshelves these days so that we can add recent donations.

It's been awhile since I shared the link to WindowSwap.  Each time you click on the link, you see a new window from somewhere in the world.  I just now looked out a window in Turkey, one in Spain, one in India looking onto a courtyard, and another in France with birds flying past a high-rise.  This link has been really great during the two years of the COVID pandemic, part of which was lockdown and not going anywhere at all.  This photo shows a window view in Switzerland.

Our Circle@Crown Café now has Grab & Go grocery goods:  bread, milk, eggs, butter, cheese, sweets, juice, water, and soda.  It's really convenient to "walk" to the store in the other building, right here on the grounds of our senior retirement center, when all we need is one or two of the basics.  I'm frequently in the Café anyway, having lunch with a friend or three, and can grab what I need.  To get a regular load of groceries, I sign up for one of the weekly bus trips to the store.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

The Crown Center really does seem like such a good place to live and the added groceries are a bonus (and smart on their part). I love that the library comes every few weeks with books for you all as well. Have a wonderful week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I thank you for sharing WindowSwap.

I think it's great that you get books from the library every few weeks. I wonder how happy you are with what they choose for you.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Deb, notice I said that some of us know how to reserve our OWN choices. That's how I do it, though I'm taking a break now to read from my own shelves and my own Kindle. I have so many books already here in my apartment (counting my Kindle and my friend Donna's Kindle, after she died) that I probably can't finish reading all of them in this lifetime. Since the library calls each person a day or two before delivery, they (if they choose) can say this or that book does not really sound like one I'd like. In other words, we still have choices. Not everyone is as focused on favorite authors and subjects as I am.