Monday, February 28, 2022

Earthquake Awareness Month

I had no idea that February was Earthquake Awareness Month until I saw it posted in my NextDoor news feed this evening.  I found a lot of information about it when I googled, including the image above showing that Missouri (where I live now) and Tennessee (my home state) are in this earthquake area.

February 7 is the anniversary of the New Madrid earthquakes that struck the central U.S. in the winter of 1811-12.  That's probably why someone chose February as the time to remember and be aware.

Nearly 2,000 small tremors occur each year, according to CUSEC.  That's the Central United States Earthquake Consortium, made up of the states on that map above.  Clockwise from the top left are  Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas). 

No comments: