Friday, February 4, 2022

Beginning ~ with bad news

Beginning

Letters bearing bad news deserve fiery deaths for the trouble they bring.  Asia Butler read her landlord's one-paragraph message again, each word twisting her gut into knots.

Fresh Scars ~ by Donna Mumma, 2021, fiction (Florida), 305 pages

Asia Butler and her sister, Ivy Butler Morelli, have not spoken in fifteen years.  The two endured brutal emotional abuse from their mother, Veronica, and want only to forget the past — and each other.  But the past comes calling when they each receive a letter from Veronica’s attorney promising much needed cash if they will fulfill her dying wish and consent to cleaning out their childhood home.  Asia and Ivy reluctantly return to their hometown of Emerson, Florida, only to discover the house is a hoarder’s nightmare filled with strange mementos and clues hinting that they were not the only victims of Veronica’s sadistic nature.  Can this new pain be the path to their healing?  Will they be able to choose forgiveness over resentment?

6 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I've seen this book on the blogosphere but haven't read any reviews. I'll look for yours.

Mark Baker said...

I completely agree with that beginning. Burn the bad news!

Juli Rahel said...

Ooh I hadn't heard about "Fresh Scars" before, but it sounds super gripping, if a bit traumatic! I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
Juli @ A Universe in Words

Cindy said...

I hope you enjoy this one Bonnie! I did. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-37-dreams-of-gold.html

Literary Feline said...

I really like how the author puts those thoughts and feelings into words. I have felt that way before. Have a great weekend!

Lyn said...

Good opening couple of sentences. Sets the tone and promises the reader that the character's response to that letter will be surprising!