Friday, February 25, 2022

Beginning ~ at the airport

Prologue

John F. Kennedy Airport, New York
Tuesday, February 22
The Day of the Crash

Chapter 1 ~ Claire

Monday, February 21
The Day Before the Crash

Look at the dates above.  I was reading this book on Tuesday, February 22nd!  I got this book from the library almost three weeks ago, but didn't know how it began until I started reading it on Monday. the 21st, so that I could return it to the library by Thursday.  Wow!  What are the odds of matching the dates?

The Last Flight ~ by Julie Clark, 2020, psychological fiction, 312 pages, 8/10

Two women.  Two flights.  One last chance to disappear.  You might know a husband like Claire's.  Ambitious, admired, with deep pockets.  But behind closed doors, he has a temper that burns as bright as his promising political career, and he's not above using his staff to track Clare's every move.  What he doesn't know is that Claire has worked for months on a plan to vanish.

A chance meeting in an airport brings her together with a woman who seems equally desperate to flee her life.  Together, they make a last minute decision to switch tickets — Claire taking Eva's flight to Oakland, and Eva traveling to Puerto Rico as Claire.  But when the Puerto Rico plane crashes, Claire realizes it's no longer a head start but a new life.  Cut off, out of options, with the news of her death about to explode in the media, Claire will assume Eva's identity, and along with it, the secrets Eva fought so hard to keep hidden.

5 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Weird timing. Reading the book on the day the events are happening. Ha! Love your timing. My book is Firekeeper's Daughter

Mark Baker said...

I enjoy reading a book around the time of the year when it is set, but you win for your synced up reading schedule.

Subconsciously, you knew. That's why you read it when you did, right?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, Mark, I read it when I did because it was due on Thursday. I knew the general plot idea before I checked the book out of the library, but I did not know about the dates. I've never thought about whether I was reading a novel "around the time of the year when it is set," as you do. When I picked up the book to start reading it late in the day on the 21st, I smiled at the dates. I was fascinated because it's the first time anything like this has ever happened to me.

Cindy said...

That is a little freaky! I hope you enjoy it, happy Friday!https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-40-to-disguise-truth.html

Helen's Book Blog said...

I really liked this book a lot and think it's one of the better thrillers I've read recently.