Thursday, October 14, 2021

Throwback Thursday

Here's a view from a streetcar on the side of Signal Mountain taken June 20, 1914.  The Tennessee River can be seen (barely) off in the distance on the right.

Throwback Thursday or #TBT is an internet trend used among social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.  (And by bloggers like me, occasionally.  Hmm, I see this is only the fifth time I've done a #TBT here on my blog.  Click the label below to see them all.)

Wikipedia informed me:  "On a Thursday, users post a nostalgia-inducing picture, usually from a different era of their life."  No, I didn't experience the streetcar myself (I'm not THAT old), but I lived on Signal Mountain from 1965 to 1984 and knew about this streetcar line that was no longer there.

2 comments:

sarahsalter said...

Nice photo and history. I had no idea that there had been a streetcar line up the mountain .. I am surprised because I would have thought the climb was too steep for a steel on steel sort of train. Other steep mountains might have a counterbalance, like the incline on Lookout, or perhaps cogwheels.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The "front" side of Signal Mountain (or Walden's Ridge) is not nearly as steep as the W Road, which you can see in the 1914 photo I posted back in March:
https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-w-road.html