Friday, October 22, 2021

Beginning ~ with a question

Beginning
The way I see it, I stopped being a kid on April 12, 1951.  We were playing our regular afternoon recess punchball game out in the schoolyard.  I was about to smack the ball when Big Toby, who always played catcher, muttered, "Hey, Pete, that true about your parents?"
Catch You Later, Traitor ~ by Avi, 2015, juvenile historical fiction (New York)
, 304 pages
From Newbery Medalist Avi comes the thrilling and suspenseful story of an ordinary American family who falls under suspicion during the 1950s Red Scare.  It's 1951, and twelve-year-old Pete Collison is a regular kid who loves detective stories and radio crime dramas.  When an FBI agent shows up at Pete's doorstep, accusing Pete's father of being a Communist, Pete is caught in a real-life mystery.  Could there really be Commies in his family?
On Tuesday, Avi posted about this book on his blog.  If you want to read more about it, his post is titled "Remember 1951!"  This book is available through my library using Hoopla, but I haven't yet taught myself that.  I want to read it on my Kindle, so can anyone enlighten me?


5 comments:

Breana M. said...

This one looks interesting. Enjoy your current read!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Avi is still at it? This sounds like a great choice for student readers.

Juli Rahel said...

The Red Scare has always fascinated me, such an odd and frantic time in US history! I think it's a great idea to show it from a child's perspective, making it a little more accessible for younger and modern readers. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend :)
Juli @ A Universe in Words

Cindy said...

Enlighten you on your Kindle? Or Hoopla? For Hoopla you download an app to your phone and then connect your library card to the app, it is pretty simple. Hope that helps. The book sounds great!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Cindy. First, I'll find the app for Hoopla. If I download it onto my phone, wouldn't that mean I'd have to read it on my phone? I'll ask the library if there's a way to download the app to my Kindle or maybe even to my laptop.