Friday, March 12, 2021

Beginnings ~ his and hers

Prologue
A week passed before I understood the enormity of my situation, a week before I realized I was dead.
Chapter One
Everyone has a story but I was never interested in telling my own.  I was an editor of books, not a writer.
Emily and Einstein: A Novel of Second Chances ~ by Linda Francis Lee, 2011, fiction (New York), 10/10

Emily and her husband Sandy Portman seemed to live a gracious if busy life in an old-world, Upper West Side apartment in the famous Dakota building.  But one night on the way to meet Emily, Sandy dies in a tragic accident.  The funeral isn't even over before Emily learns she is on the verge of being evicted from their apartment.  Worse than the possibility of losing her home, Emily is stunned to discover that her marriage was made up of lies.

Suddenly Emily is forced on a journey to find out who her husband really was . . . all the while feeling that somehow he isn't really gone.  Angry, hurt, and sometimes betrayed by loving memories of the man she lost, Emily finds comfort in a scruffy dog named Einstein.  But is Einstein's seemingly odd determination that she save herself enough to make Emily confront her own past?  Can he help her find a future — even after she meets a new man?

Instead of posting my book beginnings first thing today, I read the book instead.  It pulled me in and kept me flipping the pages.  Do I recommend it?  Oh, yeah.  But know ahead of time that it's not like other books.  For one thing, Emily's chapters are in one font type, and Einstein's are in a totally different font.  At first, I thought something was wrong with my Kindle when I couldn't "fix" the problem by reading in my chosen font.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for other book beginnings.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Wow. That prologue opening is quite the statement. I love it. It makes me want to read this book all on its own. I can see why you got sucked into this one right away. I hope you have a great weekend, Bonnie!