Monday, December 23, 2019

Monday Music ~ with Gail and Emily and Dora

Emily playing "our" piano
Friday
Gail asked me if I could read music.  I took piano lessons at the age of five and played bassoon in the Chattanooga Youth Symphony as well as my school's concert band and orchestra.  Gail wants me to teach her to play the piano.  I'm willing.  When I suggested a book for beginners, Gail was able to find a copy at the Barnes and Noble near us, and her daughter will pick it up.  Crown Center has two pianos we can use.  I gave my piano to Emily when I moved to St. Louis, since I was afraid playing would disturb my neighbors in an apartment building.  The first year I was here, I'd go down and practice on the piano in the Weinberg Lounge after 9:00 pm, when events are over and I wouldn't bother anyone.  Robert, evening support staff at that time, would leave the door open so he could hear me play while he was at the link desk.

Me playing my piano in 2010
Saturday
I heard Dora playing the piano near the fitness center in the Tallin building and went to listen.  She's one of our Russian residents, who told me months ago that she studied piano at the Conservatory.  We talked, even though she claims her English isn't good (it is), and she wanted to hear me play.  I didn't keep up my late night practicing downstairs, so my fingers have forgotten the melodies I once knew.  I stumbled around on the keyboard, playing for Dora without music, as I tried to remember pieces I'd memorized decades ago.  My music sits idle on a bookshelf.  I miss playing.  I need to save up to buy an electronic keyboard, so I can wear earphones and play without disturbing my neighbors.

Mine looks a lot like this one
Sunday
I got down my cedar flute to play "Whippoorwill" by R. Carlos Nakai, the one song I've memorized for wooden flute.  Here's the composer playing it on YouTube.  I know only the slow part that he plays at the beginning (0:55 to 2:05), which is all that's on page 63 of The Art of the Native American Flute by R. Carlos Nakai, 1996.

Monday
Apparently music is in my bones, and I need to let it out.  I've got to get a keyboard soon!  In the meantime, I could pull out that book of music and play my cedar flute.  (And go downstairs to practice the piano.)

*** Another variation of Carlos Nakai playing "Whippoorwill," which was posted on YouTube in 2018.  I think I like it better.  Here's a third YouTube version from 2015, and a livelier 2018 YouTube version.

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Emily commented on Facebook: "Keep music in your life, dear friend!"