Friday, December 20, 2019

Beginning ~ with someone who cares

"Your boss is mad; your spouse is complaining; the kids are cranky; and you just discovered that the roof is leaking.  There's only one thing to do.  Pick up the phone and call a friend."
Women Make the Best Friends: A Celebration ~ by Lois Wyse, 1995, stories and poems
In her heart of hearts every woman knows that men may come and go, but a true friend is forever.  At nine, nineteen, or ninety, the one constant that marks each stage in a woman's life is the importance of the friendships she has made.  In the best of times and in the worst of times, it is our friends who sustain us, cheer us, and see us through whatever surprises life throws our way.  (From the dust jacket, edited.)
I found this in the little library here at the Crown Center, when I was in the mood for something light.  This book has short anecdotes, short poems, short 4-5 page pieces about conversations remembered.  Earlier this year, I read Lois Wyse's 1989 book of anecdotes called Funny, You Don't Look Like a Grandma and liked it enough to give it to my friend Sharon, when she became a first-time grandmother a week or so later.  I'm enjoying this one so far.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for more book beginnings.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I could do with some light reading, but somehow I keep getting books that are deep and serious.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Yep, I have plenty of those, but this one is a quick and easy read, I'm happy to say.