Sunday, December 4, 2011

Booking about ~ Sunday Salon

Here's another salon for us, though I find "salon" a bit too grand (see last week's Sunday salon).

Booking about

1.  Learn about medieval tech support for new book technology.  (Thanks, Julia.)



2.  You oughta read this:  Where have all the reading materials gone?  Julia wrote this week about trying to figure out what was different about her eighth-grade friend's house, different from her own.  Then it hit her:  "Where are all your books?"

When I was dating the man I would marry, I noticed there was precisely one book in his parents' home — the Bible — and it was on the lower shelf of the coffee table, dusted but apparently never read.  He didn't grow up a reader, but became one, as you can see from what I wrote in June.

3.  November 29th was the birthday of Madeleine L'Engle, author of A Wrinkle in Time (click on the title to read my review).  Have you read it?  A graphic novel version of it is coming out in 2012.

4.  Barack Obama and his daughters Sasha and Malia went bookshopping at an independent bookstore on "Small Business Saturday" (11-26-11).  I recognize two of the books Malia (right) is holding:  Zen Shorts by Jon Muth (on the bottom) is a picture book in the same series with Zen Ties, that I read a few days ago, and the one above it is The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selnick, that I read in May.  Click on the titles for my reviews.

That's life

My life recently has been about water, more water (with heron), less water, and almost no water.  In other words, it felt a bit wet around here, what with the floodwaters and all.  It didn't mean more reading, however.  Though I "stayed inside to read" and did a lot of studying, I haven't finished the fiction and nonfiction books I've been reading:

3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I cannot imagine my home without books! They are almost like additional family members...or at least good friends.

Love your "salon" photo! Gorgeous.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON MEMES POST and
MY WEBSITE

Helen's Book Blog said...

I haven't finished a single book this week, which feels very strange. My ex-husband never read either, but he never caught the reading buzz and thinks I am strange for reading so much. Hence the "ex" :-)

Unknown said...

Lovely photo - I'd like one of those red Chinese cabinets...

Enjoy your week.