Monday, December 5, 2011

The Alex Awards

Reading Helen's Book Blog, I learned about the Alex Awards because she's joined a challenge to read some of them.  "The Alex Awards are given to ten books written for adults that have special appeal to young adults, ages 12 through 18."  I've read quite a few from the lists (1998-2011), but here are a dozen I mentioned in a comment to Helen, with links when I've written about the book:

Gaiman, Neil.  Anansi Boys (2006 list) is a delightful, very good book.

Walls, Jeannette.  The Glass Castle (2006 list) was pretty good.

Picoult, Jodi.  My Sister’s Keeper (2005 list) is one of my favorite books.

Satrapi, Marjane.  Persepolis (2004 list) was not a favorite (I'm not much into graphic novels), but a good book.

Niffenegger, Audrey.  The Time Traveler’s Wife (2004 list)

Hosseini, Khaled.  The Kite Runner (2004 list)

Tracy Chevalier.  The Girl with a Pearl Earring (2001 list) was very good, and read before going to NYC to see the Vermeer art exhibit in 2001 -- before Sept. 11th.

Geraldine Brooks.  Year of Wonders (2002 list) was really good.

Barbara Ehrenreich. Nickel and Dimed (2002 list) is NF about a journalist trying to live on minimum wage.

Leif Enger. Peace like a River (2002 list) was haunting.

Bragg, Rick. All Over but the Shoutin' (1998 list) was a good memoir.

Junger, Sebastian. The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men against the Sea (1998 list) is very memorable.

Have you read any of these or any others from the lists of Alex Award Winners or the Alex Award Nominations?

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

On your list I've read Persepolis, Glass Castle, the Kite Runner (a favorite), Year of Wonders (another favorite), Nickel and Dimed (super interesting), and Peace Like a River.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Alex lists to pick my books for the challenge

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I noticed on your blog that you plan to read My Sister's Keeper, The Girl with a Pearl Earring, and Time Traveler's Wife. You picked three good ones.