Saturday, September 3, 2022

Walking the cat and losing my phone

I took this photo of Clawdia at the end of a recent walk in the hall.  She walks beside me, as we pace together to the other end of the hall and back in the late evening.  Notice that she is looking up, because she knows this is the door that opens to OUR home.  One of my friends said I must be "the cat whisperer," able to train a cat to walk beside me, not even using a leash.  No, it was all Clawdia's doing.  She walks ahead of anyone else who joins us in the hall, almost like she's showing them how we do this.

Now the phone thing.  I confess that I was in a near panic Wednesday evening because I could not find my mobile phone.  Yes, I'm getting forgetful in my old age, but most of the time I can figure out when and where I last had my phone.  I'd been stretched out on the bed, reading, and had decided to get up and find something to eat.  Afterwards, I realized my phone was not in my pocket, where it usually is.  So I looked around.

I couldn't find it on the bed, where I'd been.  I moved books and papers around, but it wasn't there.  (Yes, I have books and papers on my bed ... because I'm a reader and a book blogger.)  I went into the kitchen to see if I'd left it on the counter.  No, not there.
I checked the bathroom, the easy chair, the table beside the chair, the rollator (just in case I had put it in the bag under the seat when I walked to the grocery store earlier with Iva using the Rollator).  But I knew I had had the phone since then, didn't I?  Yes, I was sure I did.  But where could it be?

Just then, Clawdia stood up to jump off the bed.  Lo and behold, there was my phone!  Uh-huh, she'd been sitting on it, watching me search the whole apartment.  What cat would sit on a smart phone, people?  My smart cat, that's who.

For the record, she very "helpfully" sat on my yellow tablet back in 2020 while I was taking notes during a Zoom meeting.  Clawdia sitting on my stuff is totally inexplicable.

Word of the Day #1
roll·ay·tor / 'roll·ay·tor = A walking frame equipped with wheels, especially one designed for the elderly or disabled.  It is commonly referred to as a "rolling walker."  Mine, like the one shown above, has hand brakes and a seat with a pocket where I can tote a book or small items I've bought or whatever.  I pronounce rollator with the accent on the first syllable, as in 'roll·ate·or.  Apparently, pronunciation of this word varies from place to place.  I heard someone on YouTube pronounce it 'roll·uh·tor.  I wondered if it's a brand name and found that, although it was originally a brand name, rollator has become common for wheeled walkers in many countries and is also the most common type of walker in the United States.
Word of the Day #2
in·ex·pli·ca·ble /ˌinekˈsplikəb(ə)l / adjective = unable to be explained or accounted for.  Example:  For some inexplicable reason, Clawdia chooses to sit on things that take my attention away from her.  But how does she KNOW that?  She seems to be a very observant cat.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I hate that feeling of losing something and not being able to figure out where it's gone. Lucky for you it was just Clawdia hiding it!