Friday, September 23, 2022

Beginning ~ at the train station in 2010

Beginning

This happened back in March of 2010, when the Philadelphia train 
station still had the kind of information board that clickety-clacked 
the various gate assignments rolled up.  Serena Drew stood directly 
in front of it, gazing intently at the listing for the next train to Baltimore.

French Braid ~ by Anne Tyler, 2022, fiction (Maryland), 258 pages

The Garretts take their first and last family vacation in the summer of 1959.  They hardly ever venture beyond Baltimore, but in some ways they have never been farther apart.  Mercy has trouble resisting the siren call of her aspirations to be a painter, which means less time keeping house for her husband, Robin.  Their teenage daughters, steady Alice and boy-crazy Lily, could not have less in common.  The youngest, David, is already intent on escaping his family's orbit, for reasons none of them understands.  This novel illuminates the kindnesses and cruelties of our daily lives, the impossibility of breaking free from those who love us, and how close — yet unknowable — every family is to itself.

Anne Tyler, who has won a Pulitzer Prize, is one of my favorite authors.  So I've been waiting for my turn to read her new novel about "one Baltimore family’s foibles, from a boyfriend with a red Chevy in the 1950s up to a longed-for reunion with a grandchild in our pandemic present."  (Yeah, featuring the pandemic shows how new this book is.)

4 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I like Anne Tyler but this book just didn't quite do it for me. I was underwhelmed. I'll watch for your review to see what you think. My quotes come from THESE FEVERED DAYS

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It's always a happy day for me to read an Anne Tyler novel.

Elza Reads said...

Hi Bonnie,

Believe it or not, but I have actually never read anything by Anne Tyler. Although I've seen such great books by her around. Perhaps I should just try one and see how I find it.

It's always good to read books by our favorite authors, I hope you will enjoy this one!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Elza Reads

Cindy said...

I hope you enjoy this one. Have a great weekend!