Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Irish words and phrases

I recently read An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor 2004 (fiction obviously set in Ireland, 356 pages, that I rated only 6/10).  The author was obsessed with including every detail of clothing and setting and every medical diagnosis, and I found the book boring.  However, I had fun with the Glossary in the back of the book.  Maybe it was intriguing because I'm Irish, Scottish, English, and French.  I found these words and phrases in the Glossary and thought they didn't need to be explained to me because I've heard (and used) them my whole life.  Maybe not everyone uses these terms, but here are some that seem perfectly normal to me, with my own examples:
  1. I have bigger fish to fry (more important things to do).
  2. I have a cow's lick (a tuft of hair that looks like a cow licked my head).
  3. He really got my dander up (made me angry).
  4. She dotes on her grandchild (gives a lot of love or attention to).
  5. He was fit to be tied (very angry).
  6. Iced tea hits the spot for me on hot summer days (fills the need).
  7. Hold your horses (wait a minute).
  8. Don't get your knickers in a twist (anxiously upset).
  9. That's the length and breadth of it (all the details).
  10. He made a mint on that deal (made a great deal of money).
  11. Oh, quit moping around (indulging in self-pity).
  12. It's too muggy today to do any yard work (hot and humid).
  13. At 82, I am no spring chicken (getting on in years).
  14. She suggested eating out, and I'm raring to go (eager and fully prepared).
  15. Wow, take a gander at this beautiful painting (look at).
Maybe being Irish is part of the reason green is my favorite color.  Maybe?  I also just realized I usually start my list with Irish, then English, Scottish, and French.  By the way, the name "Bonnie" is Scottish.  As for the French part, one of my ancestors was said to have been christened on the throne of Marie Antoinette, which may be why my family fled to the United States around the time Marie Antoinette lost her head on a guillotine.

No comments: