Sunday, September 11, 2022

A novel idea, continued

What happened to our novel idea from last Sunday?  Four people commented:

Mark said:  "The biggest question I have is what genre is our character in.  That's going to determine who they are and what drives me.  I usually read mysteries, so the biggest driver there is wanting to make sure that justice is done.  Quite often that includes clearing a personal friend who is a suspect.

Deb said:  "I'd recommend choosing a character who is like you, but is a better or worse version of you.  Or I'd choose a character who is based on someone you have met in your life who you found intriguing."

Shelleyrae said:  "Hmm…revenge is always a good motivator, or perhaps atonement."

Helen said:  "The main character should have a cat who is almost a character in itself.  Perhaps the main character is animal-driven (think crime or murder at the local ASPCA)."

So Mark and Shelleyrae and Helen seem to lean toward making this a mystery or thriller, but after reading several of the cozy mysteries on my friend Donna's Kindle, that doesn't interest me.  If the main character is like me (as Deb suggested), she isn't into murder and mayhem.  My "problems" are more mundane, like how to get through this week.  Or even how to get through today!
  
I notice that Helen says that "the main character should have a cat."  She's been reading my blog so long that she probably remembers Kiki (on the right), the cat I had before my little black cat, Clawdia.  Excellent idea, Helen!

If every end is a new beginning, let's incorporate that into our novel.  What has ended, and what is beginning for our protagonist?  As you make suggestions, remember that what I want to compose is a literary novel — not a cozy mystery or thriller or romance novel.  So what is literary fiction?  It does not fit neatly into an established genre, but is character-driven rather than plot-driven.  It examines the human condition, someone said.  Let's do that.
So here's what I think so far.  The characters are BJ (that would be me, though "I" need a name in my novel) and her best friend DC (Donna also needs another name).  Let's call them Betsy and Diane.  Betsy has a cat; what shall we call her?  The cat, I mean.

Now let's decide this:  What are Betsy's goals, and what would she risk losing if she is unable to meet those goals?



The Cruelest Month
~ by Aaron Stander, 2012, thriller, 262 pages

This book I'm reading now has a dog in it named Roxy, but no cats that I know of.  I'm having a hard time getting into this book and have to keep starting over, because I forget what I read yesterday.  I may abandon it.  Maybe it's more fun to write a novel than to read one.  Yay!



By the way, that photo at the top shows A Novel Idea, a bookstore in North Chattanooga that sold used books.  I worked at A Novel Idea for a short time before Donna and I opened Book Buddies, a bookstore several miles north of there in Red Bank, Tennessee.


Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

6 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Betsy needs a new job. The stress of her current job is getting to be too much, and she needs something with reasonable goals and deadlines. The consequences if she doesn't get it? That, I don't know yet. (Yes, I'm projecting from my own life right now.)

Terrie said...

The best character driven stories show significant character growth. So if we take Mark's idea about needing a new job - maybe the stress is around a bad relationship with a coworker because.....trouble communicating & working together on a project. Her 'growth' could be that she leaves the job in a negative over-reaction and then thru a series of events realizes the error was more than partly hers in her secrets or lack of clear communication so she finds a way to make amends.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Ah, yes, Betsy and Diane. And a cat named...my favorite cats were three orange cats (Pumpkin, Pumpkin II, and Pumpkin 3-D) and a lovely gray cat (Gray Matter). But Clawdia is a fantastic name, too, and she probably would not sue you if you include the details of her real life in your book.

Drawing from your own life, perhaps Betsy wants to write a book, but she doesn't know what to write about.

Or perhaps you could write about Betsy and Diane going off on an adventure you always wanted to experience, with your cat, of course...

(I'm having so much fun with this. I think I need to start my own book!)

Elza Reads said...

Oh this novel idea is a great plan Bonnie!! This can only be fun. Hmmmm... I of course like the cat idea. But it doesn't have to be a cozy mystery no and it can be more contemporary fiction. Many a great story came from an everyday retelling you know...

Good luck with this and I will try to stay posted as much as possible.


Elza Reads

Cindy said...

Betsy's cat could be Izzy! Good luck with writing a story!! That's an awesome goal to achieve. I didn't realize you ran a bookstore, that is awesome!!!

Helen's Book Blog said...

I like the idea of the cat being called Clawdia as Deb suggested. I also like her idea of Betsy and Diane going on an adventure, perhaps a road trip. Are they following a dream? Tracking down a lost friend from childhood? Seeing a site they've always wanted to see (think odd sites like largest ball of yarn)