Sunday, September 18, 2022

Reading, writing, viewing, and exercising

Hidden Figures ~ the movie

I went to the Theater room in my building on Friday to see this 2016 film on the big-screen TV.  It's about African American female mathematicians who worked at NASA during the Space Race.  It starts during World War II and moves through the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Space Race.  It's the interwoven story of Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden, who were four African American women who participated in some of NASA's greatest successes.

A Novel Idea ~ Betsy, Diane, and a cat named Clawdia

What has ended, and what is beginning for our protagonist?  You readers suggested maybe one job ends and another begins.  However, I'm retired and can see possibilities in that direction.  So-o-o, here's my idea:  Betsy's boss plans to transfer her to another city.  Yes, it would be a promotion, but Betsy has a new grandchild here, in THIS town.  She wants to watch this child grow up.  What to do?  Betsy up and quits her job.  How?  By taking retirement at 62.  Yep, she just turned 62 a few weeks ago, so that's a possibility.  But think about the money, her friends suggest.  She could get more Social Security if she retires at a later age.  Is Diane one of those friends, or does she agree with Betsy?

What are Betsy's goals now, and what would she risk losing if she is unable to meet those goals?  For one thing, she must consider the money.  Is Social Security enough?  Or will she need to figure out another source of income?

Reading ~ eh, not so much

It seems I've been busier blogging and walking than reading this week.  Yes, I've been out there walking around the block, dodging the road work that's tearing up the street out my window by crossing the street and going around Walgreen's on the other sidewalk.  I've been taking Donna's old Rollator, even though it is not really tall enough for me.  Why?  Because it's uphill to the other end of the block I circle.  By having the Rollator with a seat, I can lock the brakes and rest before coming "down" the hill towards home.  I usually stop to rest near a green shady place where I can enjoy the plants and flowers at the condos there.  The good part is that my iPhone shows I've been getting in thousands of steps more when I walk around the long block, which is actually MORE than a single block as there are side roads when I'm going one direction and coming around and back.

Gone The Next ~ by Ben Rehder, 2012, mystery, 286 pages

Meet Roy Ballard, a freelance videographer with a knack for catching insurance cheats.  He's working a routine case, complete with hours of tedious surveillance, when he sees something that shakes him to the core.  There, with the subject, is a little blond girl wearing a pink top and denim shorts — the same outfit worn by Tracy Turner, a six-year-old abducted the day before.  When the police are skeptical of Ballard's report — and with his history, who can blame them? — it's the beginning of the most important case of his life.

I looked in Donna's Kindle and found she had given this book FIVE STARS, so maybe I'll read it next.  It is almost (but not quite) as good as being able to ask her if she liked a book.  It really is interesting to have her Kindle, as well as my own, to say the least.

Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

3 comments:

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I want to both read and watch Hidden Figures, it’s such an important story.

Wishing you a great reading week

Helen's Book Blog said...

Good for Betsy for retiring. What if you have her think the money is enough, realize it isn't so she takes on a side job (that maybe comes out of a volunteer job she has?). The side job is unofficial, on the down low. Perhaps she is solving neighborhood crimes or starts a baking business out of her home. Oh, the possibilities!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Ha! We decided to retire at 62 after seeing two friends die suddenly before they ever got to retire. I like that plot development.

We are hoping to get back to daily walking. It was just too hot this summer. I check out a lot of picture books and we return them to the library, one each day. It works for us.