Thursday, July 7, 2022

Thursday Thoughts ~ all food related today

I clicked on "America's Favorite Foods" from Reader's Digest, and now I'm hungry!  You'll probably be craving at least one or two of these after you look them over.  Tiramisu (my friend Donna's favorite dessert) is not on the list, but French fries are.  And so are hamburgers, which I thought would be #1.  Nope.

Added around 1:00 p.m.:  I just learned that today is World Chocolate Day!  I had lunch with friends, so I'll go eat the other half of a chocolate bar I already have on hand.

What's your favorite food?  My very favorite is crispy fried okra, the way my mother used to make it — the way my friend Donna learned to make it, even though she thought she hated okra because she had only eaten boiled okra.

Jeff Davis, owner of Shuford's BBQ near Chattanooga, makes perfect fried okra.  I would love to have some right now!  But back to RD's list.  Which of the foods on that list is a favorite of yours?  I couldn't settle on one, so maybe I need to find a Greek-American-Japanese-Mexican-Italian restaurant when I go out to eat.  My mouth is watering as I work on this blog post.  I'm sorry to say that crispy fried okra is not on that list of favorite foods in the United States, but I like lots of other foods, too.

Onion rings come in at #18 on RD's list, but the onion rings pictured here are from Nikki's, one of my favorite restaurants in Chattanooga.  (My top favorite place to eat in Chattanooga, of course, is Shufords see above).  Nikki's has wonderful onion rings!

Oh, no!  As I looked for a photo of Nikki's to use here, I learned the place has been razed and replaced by small condos.  Oh, well, it also says it closed in March 2020, the same month we went into lockdown here because of the pandemic.  I found a good photo and want to save it because I had many wonderful meals there.  Can you read the  signs along the roof that say "SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN" and "GULF COAST SHRIMP"?

No comments: