Thursday, July 28, 2022

St. Louis flooding

Our rain storm came from the "wrong" direction in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, which meant it managed to come in through a hole somewhere in my building (they can't find the leak).  By wrong direction, I mean that only when the wind blows rain at my building from the EAST does it find that hole and come down the wall of the stairwell next to my kitchen.  From there it comes through the wall into my kitchen.  That's part of the reason they are moving us to a new building (which is being constructed now) and then demolishing my building.  So in the wee hours yesterday, a flood alert on my iPhone woke me up and I went into the kitchen (probably to feed Clawdia Cat) and stepped into a big pool of water.  MY flooding was inside my sixth floor apartment!  But also, my flooding was INSIDE my storage unit a couple of miles away from here.  It's a storage unit where I have boxes of BOOKS.  Yes, they're water damaged.  Otherwise, I'm okay.

The bad part is this:  "More rain could hit Missouri, and Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia could also all see dangerous flooding in the coming days."  I found this quote (and the chart above) HERE.  My children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are all in Tennessee.  Unfortunately, rain is heading in that direction.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my! Who would have thought flooding would be an issue on the 6th floor? What type of damage did the main floor receive?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Emily, we didn't have street flooding in my neighborhood. My problem was from the rain itself, which happens to my apartment even when there is no flooding anywhere else. Just rain.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Oh no! Wet books are never a good thing and mold will spread quickly. Of course, you know all that.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with flooding in your home and in your storage unit. I hope too many things in your apartment were not ruined!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Nothing in my apartment was ruined by the water pooled in the kitchen floor. Only the bottom tier of boxes full of books was ruined in my storage unit; those was discarded, but the others were put in a different storage unit and seem to be okay.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Oh man I am so, so sorry!!!! I know "all that matters" is that you are ok, but it still SUCKS to lose our precious books. Hope your family will be ok in TN.