Friday, April 15, 2022

What do you think of this pricing?

Summary (just in case you can't read the sign in the photo):  "To continue serving our overnight guests, our overnight pricing (11pm to 5 am) is higher than the menu board."  Someone on my neighborhood listserv posted this, saying:
"I saw this sign at the Hardee's on ... I think it's crazy.  What do you all think about this?  I don't think I'm going to be back here because people are already paying so much inflation."
I left out the location and edited some of the comments below because the way folks post without checking capitalization and spelling drives me crazy.  But seriously, is this pricing the new normal?  Is it only fair to the company?  What do you think?  Here are some of the comments (also edited) that the original poster has received so far:
  • "They’re just reacting to the market."
  • "I understand, but then give us the late night menu prices to see.  They can’t just make up prices as they go!!!  Or say there is an up charge of 20% — SHOW US THE COST."
  • "I used to get paid an extra ten cents an hour for working holidays and late night, so it doesn't surprise me."
  • "I would want know what the cost is before I order."
  • "I believe the sign makes sense.  Because of inflation, salaries and cost of materials, utilities, etc. are up; because of the pandemic, etc. patronage is down.  To keep staff on at night and the restaurant open, it is more expensive."
  • "It think that's better than having to close.  So many places are randomly closed because they can't get employees these days."
  • "I assume this reflects the cost of providing overnight/24 hour service — which not all restaurants feature.  The alternative would be for Hardee's to raise prices across the board."
  • "Guess what!!!!!  No one NEEDS Hardee’s."
  • "I get it…BUT, if they are going to do that they need to make a separate menu like they do for breakfast.  If people can’t see what they are paying, what’s to keep someone from charging more and pocketing the cash?  Nope for me unless I see posted prices."
  • "I suspect that if they don’t increase night prices, they will either have to spread the price increase across all items for all customers at all times, or they won’t be able to be open at night anymore."
  • "It's like shift work in a factory that pays people more to work the hours no one else wants to work.  Hard to get any workers these days."
  • "At least they are letting you know.  Then the choice is yours.  A premium price for odd hours service is not unreasonable.  It costs more to keep a place open during non-peak hours."
  • "This price gouging by businesses who are making record profits while we are still fighting a pandemic is shameful and unethical, if not proof positive that business can not self-regulate.  We need our anti-trust laws back and regulations to slap the hands of bad boys who just can't control themselves and their runaway GREED."
  • "Hopefully this is because they are paying their help premium pay for night shift.  If that is the case, I approve of it.  If it's just so the corporation can make more money, I do not approve."
Here's my take on it.  Yes, there may be a legitimate reason to charge more overnight, but please tell us how much more.  I myself would not order and pay for something BEFORE knowing how much it costs.  That's ridiculous, in my opinion.  Maybe it would work if I asked before ordering, "How much is this?  How much is that?"  Maybe this Hardee's location has already placed an order for an updated sign with new prices, but somehow, tell me how much, please!

No comments: