Friday, September 17, 2021

Beginning ~ with a eulogy request

In the beginning, there was a question.
"Will you do my eulogy?"
I don't understand, I said.
"My eulogy?" the old man asked again.  "When I'm gone."

Have a Little Faith: A True Story ~ by Mitch Albom, 2009, religion, 254 pages ~ As America struggles with hard times and people turn more to their beliefs, Albom and two men of God explore issues that perplex us:  how to endure when difficult things happen; what heaven is; intermarriage; forgiveness; doubting God; and the importance of faith in trying times.

I've read three books by Mitch Albom already this month:
  1. The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Book 1 of Heaven's Books) ~ by Mitch Albom, 2003, fiction, 9/10
  2. The Next Person You Meet in Heaven (Book 2 of Heaven's Books) ~ by Mitch Albom, 2018, fiction, 10/10
  3. Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family ~ by Mitch Albom, 2021, memoir, 10/10
As you can see, they were all excellent books that I couldn't put down.  So now I'm ready to read another one.  At first, Albom feels unworthy of doing the rabbi's eulogy, being thrown back into a world of faith he'd left years ago.  The Jewish rabbi was from his old neighborhood; later Mitch meets a Christian pastor; the tale in this book moves back and forth between their two worlds.  The dust jacket says:
"And he [Mitch Albom] finally understands what both men had been teaching all along:  the profound comfort of believing in something bigger than yourself."


6 comments:

Sarita said...

These books seems like they will make you think. Here is my post https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/09/book-spotlight-fridays-death-triangle_01450151169.html

Mark Baker said...

That opening is catchy. I hope there was a little more context in the real life conversation, but it's an attention grabber when you read it to start the book.

Juli Rahel said...

This sounds really intriguing! Although it's not a book I would usually pick up, I like the idea of meeting with people from different faiths to try and understand what our need for religion is all about! I hope you enjoy this one as much as his other books, and that you have a lovely weekend :)
Juli @ A Universe in Words

Tee said...

I have never read one of his books, but I know a lot of people do

Here is my link:
https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/09/book-beginnings-be-my-ghost-by-carol-j.html

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I thought I'd read this book but now that I see it is a true story I am not sure. I enjoy Albom's writing so I hope to read it if I haven't. My quotes this week from THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS IS

Cindy said...

I have not read his books before and I'm not sure why?! Have a great weekend!