Wednesday, September 8, 2021

A chunk of cheddar, a plum, and a memory

At my age, it seems, everything brings back a memory.  The usual fruit included in the optional meals delivered by the Crown Center (where I live) is an apple, an orange, or a tangerine.  Someone decided to give us plums the other day.  I haven't had a plum in years!  This morning, I picked up that plum for breakfast.  I'd already gotten the package of sharp cheddar cheese out of the fridge, so I thought, "What the heck, I'll just eat both."  Along with the tangerine I also picked up.  Guess what?  The combination of sharp cheddar and plum tastes wonderful!  You ought to try it sometime.

The taste of that plum is what brought back the memory of my plum tree.  No, this isn't a picture of MY tree, just one I found online to show you how low the branches can be.  The plum tree in my back yard became my climbing tree.  I lived at that house between the ages of three and nine, so my tree-climbing days were probably in the late 1940s.  Now for the best part.  In the right season, I could climb that tree, pick a plum, and eat it while sitting in the tree, hanging onto a limb with one hand while plum juice dribbled down my chin.  And THAT, dear blogging friends, is my best makes-me-smile memory of the day!

No comments: