Friday, May 8, 2020

Beginning ~ with Papa breaking the figurines

Purple Hibiscus ~ by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 2003, fiction (Nigeria)
"Things started to fall apart at home when my brother, Jaja, did not go to communion and Papa flung his heavy missal across the room and broke the figurines on the étagère."
I read this novel in 2013, as a library book with the cover pictured above.  On Monday, I was given a newer edition with a bright red cover and intend to start reading it again today.  Adichie is an excellent writer (I've read several of her books), and I'm quite willing to read this one a second time so I can discuss it on my Book Buddies blog.  If you can get a copy, you're welcome to join the discussion.  Here's what it's about:
Kambili (age 15) and her older brother Jaja lead a privileged life.  They live in a beautiful house in Enugu, Nigeria and attend an exclusive missionary school, but their home life is not harmonious.  Their father is a respected businessman, but he is fanatically religious and tyrannical at home.  When their loving and outspoken aunt persuades her brother that the children should visit her, Kambili and Jaja take their first trip away from home.  Once inside their Aunty Ifeoma's flat in the smaller city of Nsukka, they discover a whole new world.  When they return home, changed by their newfound freedom, nothing can be the same as before.  Tension within the family esalates, and Kambili must find the strength to keep her loved ones together — even after her mother commits a desperate act.

============================
Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for book beginnings
shared by other readers.
============================

3 comments:

Roberta Gibson said...

Hope you enjoy the second reading. I am always amazed by how different a novel can seem the second time, particularly if your life circumstances or experiences have changed.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I agree that re-reading a book is different the second time around because our life situations have changed in the meantime. Living in a lockdown will make it seem VERY different, I imagine. However, I'm ready to give it a try.

Literary Feline said...

I love Adichie. I haven't read this one yet though. I need to. I have a copy on my TBR pile. I hope this is as good for you the second time around! Have a great week.