Friday, April 5, 2013

Beginning ~ with unspoken anger

Purple Hibiscus ~ by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 2003, fiction (Nigeria)
"Things started to fall apart at home when my brother, Jaja, did not go to communion and Papa flung his heavy missal across the room and broke the figurines on the étagère."
Several years ago, I read Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun (2006), which is on a list of 1001 books we should read before we die.  I meant to read Purple Hibiscus (2003) soon afterwards, but I'm only now getting around to it.  She's a good writer, so I have great hopes for this book.

The cover on the library copy I'm reading is the one I showed in my Library Loot post last week.  That post also gives a summary of the novel.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's Mister Linky.

No comments: