Friday, June 13, 2008

Possessing the Secret of Joy ~ by Alice Walker

(p. vi) Bollingen, the Stone

While reading Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections as part of my course of study, I was surprised by a photo of this stone. I thought, Hey! This stone is used on the cover of Alice Walker's book Possessing the Secret of Joy. Strange as it may sound, I bought the book because of the cover and have never read it. Maybe I should, now that I know its origin.

(click to enlarge the book's cover)

Carl Jung was a stone carver (I didn't know that, either) and carved this stone himself. He built his tower-house at Bollingen himself, and this stone was delivered by mistake. He liked the stone and kept it, carving this "mandala" on it.

If you've read the book, tell me what you thought about it, please. Should I read it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the book, but how very observant of you to have noticed that it was the same stone!

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by both Walkers book and Jung's carved stone. I haven't read the book but may google for a review, just because you have peaked my curiosity.

Thanks for your great feedback on my beach poem, Bonnie. I'm still tweaking it.